Advertisment Nexovas Cilnidipine
Indian Journal of Nephrology About us |  Subscription |  e-Alerts  | Feedback | Login   
  Print this page Email this page   Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 Home | Current Issue | Archives| Ahead of print | Search |Instructions |  Editorial Board  

Users Online:484

Official publication of the Indian Society of Nephrology
 ~   Next article
 ~   Previous article
 ~   Table of Contents

 ~   Similar in PUBMED
 ~  Search Pubmed for
 ~  Search in Google Scholar for
 ~Related articles
 ~   Citation Manager
 ~   Access Statistics
 ~   Reader Comments
 ~   Email Alert *
 ~   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed714    
    Printed34    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded119    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 28  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 15-20

Clinicopathological spectrum of glomerular diseases in adolescents: A single-center experience over 4 Years


1 Department of Internal Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
2 Department of Nephrology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
3 Department of Histopathology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India

Correspondence Address:
Prof. V Sakhuja
Department of Nephrology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh - 160 012
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijn.IJN_239_16

Rights and Permissions

The spectrum of biopsy-proven glomerular disease was studied from a single center in Northwestern India, among adolescents aged 13–19 years. From January 2009 to December 2012, a total of 177 patients with biopsy-proven glomerular disease were studied. The same pathologist reported all the biopsy specimens after subjecting to light, immunofluorescence, and electron microscopy. The clinical profile and laboratory findings of the patients were correlated with the histopathological spectrum of glomerular diseases. Males formed 71.19% (n = 126) and the remaining 28.81% (n = 51) were females. Lupus nephritis had a strong female predominance, whereas minimal change disease (MCD) and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) had a male predominance. Nephrotic syndrome was the indication for biopsy in 65% of the cases. Rapidly progressive renal failure and acute nephritis were the next common indications accounting for 14% and 7%, respectively. FSGS was the most common glomerular disease in adolescents (n = 45, 25.4%). The next common were MCD and lupus nephritis each contributing 21.6% and 10.7%, respectively. Primary glomerular diseases accounted for 84.75% (n = 150) of the total. The remaining 15.25% (n = 27) were attributed to secondary glomerular diseases, of which lupus nephritis was the most common, i.e., in 70.4% patients (n = 19). FSGS was the most common histology in adolescent nephrotic participants (37%). MCD was the next common, found in 31% of nephrotic patients. Electron microscopy changed the diagnosis made by light microscopy and immunofluorescence in 5.6% cases only, and it confirmed the diagnosis in another 21.6%. Kidney biopsy in adolescents is a safe procedure. The spectrum of glomerular diseases in adolescents is different from that seen in adults and smaller children.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Indian Journal of Nephrology
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow
Online since 20th Sept '07